Hubbard Wyatt (a direct descendant of Sir Francis Wyatt - the 1st English Royal Governor of Virginia in 1620)purchased the acreage in Greensville County, Virginia from the Waller land tract around 1817-1818 and built "Walnut Grove" in 1820.

Upon his death on March 15, 1824, his son Edward Wyatt inherited the estate. Edward and his wife Margaret lived there until his death.

When Edward passed away on August 25, 1832 his eldest child, Anne Wyatt became heir to Walnut Grove. On October 18, 1846, Anne married George Wythe Feild and years later, their youngest surviving son George Wythe Feild inherited the property.

George was born at Walnut Grove on December 11, 1868 and died on December 22, 1923. He married Laura "Jennie" Jane Bingham on January 4, 1899. Jennie passed away on January 24, 1960 in South Hill, Virginia at the age of 88. They are both buried at Grace Church in Purdy, Virginia.

In 1922 Mr. and Mrs. George Wythe Feild bestowed their ancestral home "Walnut Grove" and seventy acres to the Episcopal Diocese to be used as an Episcopal Home for Girls sometime after the death of their infant daughter.

They had one surviving son, Edward Carter Feild born on November 2, 1902. Edward passed away in Rocky Mount, North Carolina on December 18, 1980. He married Elizabeth Harrison Elmore on October 22, 1930 and produced two sons; George Elmore Feild and Edward Carter Feild, Jr. Elizabeth died July 12, 1973 in South Hill, Virginia. Edward is also buried at Grace Church in Purdy, Virginia.

 

Siblings to George that were also born at Walnut Grove are...

James Cocke Feild -born May 27, 1862, he was a County Surveyor and Antiquarian

Sarah "Sallie" Bernard Feild was born May 5, 1865, married to Edward Randolph Phelps

Andrew Spotswood Feild was born February 14, 1874 but passed away in 1874

William "Billy Meade Feild born in 1886 and died February 12, 1953

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************* 

The below photographs were taken the Winter of 1971 .

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************* 

 

 

The main building of Walnut Grove was built in 1820 by Hubbard Wyatt who died in 1824.

 

 

 

Originally, the house had eight rooms, four downstairs and four upstairs. The ceilings are 12 feet high. Later renovations were made to the house and had a total of twenty rooms.

 

 

It is a 2-story frame house with chimneys at each end.

 

 

 

The front porch has six columns supporting a flat, shingled roof.

 

 

 

Front foyer entrance with staircase.

 

 

 

The front parlor (room on left of foyer).

The interior contains dwarf-wainscoting, cornices, dentils.

 

 

 

 The mantels, five in number were carved by Afro-American carpenters and were always objects of admiration.

 

 

The interior contains dwarf-wainscoting, cornices, dentils. The wainscoting all over the house is three feet high and is said to have been sawed from one poplar tree and one whole board is two feet wide.

 

 

 

Walnut Grove features beautiful original hardwood floors.

 

 

 

 

The original six paneled doors with old locks and knobs are still in existance.

 Door on the left was originally the girls bedroom and later Rev. George Joel Smith's Office, and now serves as a classroom.  

 

 

And again it features the original 6 Panel Doors and Hardware.

 

 

 

The original staircase to second floor bedroom (which is now an office)

 

 

The interior contains exposed beams in the basement dining room. The sills, and beams, which decorate the ceiling in the basement dining room were hewn by hand. The basement dining room has seated as many as one hundred people, with space for a stage with curtains, where plays and pageants have been given by the girls. This basement room was also used for a study hall, sewing room and business office. 

 

 

The original brick fireplace in basement kitchen, later used as a store room off from the updated kitchen that was used until Gage Dining Hall was built.

 

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************                                                                                                                                              

 

This painting which has been matted and framed, graces the wall of  "Walnut Grove". It conveys how it appeared before the shutters were added but also shows the additions to the right of the house. You may notice the circular seating around the tree that no longer graces the front lawn; these benches were used by us girls as well as during homecoming. The bell tower sits to to the right side of the house outside the basement door.

 

  “Village View” Mansion House built in 1790 and located at 221 Briggs St (off S. Main Street) in Emporia, Virginia reflects the rural family lifestyle of southside Virginia in the 1830's. The plantation grew from 200 acres in 1726 to its maximum size of 4,990 acres plantation in the late eighteenth centruy. 

This beautifully restored historic house is filled with numerious original features including a distinctive fan light over the front entrance, handcarved mantels, decorative molding, hardwood floors, and massive hand hew beams. During the Civil War, the front parlor of the house served as the site of a council of war for Generals W.H.F. Lee, Wade Hampton, and Matthew Butler.

In 1986, the Mansion House and its remaining four acres of land were given to the community by its last private owner, Sidney Briggs.

Tours upon request, call 434-634-9441 or 434-634-2475.Village View aka Mansion House is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Homes.

 It also features in their upstairs northwest bedroom a walnut victorian bed, wardrobe, and dresser on loan from the Jackson Feild Home. (pictured above)

Jackson-Feild Improvements - February 24, 2017

Jackson-Feild Behavioral Health Services recently completed several improvements in three separate locations on the campus.

Built in 1825, the historic manor home called “Walnut Grove” needed a new front porch due to deterioration in the original wood.  In addition, a wheel chair ramp was added to ensure that the facility is ADA-compliant.

Two houses originally built as residences for staff members were given a fresh coat of paint and new back decks, and new light fixtures in preparation for an on-campus program that JFBHS will launch in April. 

Rogers and Marshall Cottages also saw updates with new vinyl flooring to replace the old carpeting.   The bathrooms in the 1960s-built Rogers Cottage also received a facelift and remodeling.

This spring, JFBHS is looking fresher and brighter thanks to the work of Larry Pair and his maintenance staff.

free templates